zsh-users
From: "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@gmail.com>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: exec
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2024 11:16:49 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 10:54 AM Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eahat's the terminal supposed to do with nothing running in it anymore?

That was a rather creative typo for "What" at the start of that question. :)

>  Exec has the same impact on the shell as *exit* - shell go bye bye - it
> just leaves another program in its place.

In your tests, that other program is *echo*. Since that's a builtin, things
are a little different. In bash or ksh, *exec* only works on external
programs, so if you type *exec echo*, you'll be running */bin/echo* or
*/usr/bin/echo* (or wherever the binary lives) instead of the shell
builtin. But in Zsh, *exec*'ed builtins are still builtins; the shell
simulates the effect of *exec* by exiting after it executes the builtin
command. So *exec echo whatever* is just a shorter way of writing *echo
whatever; exit*.

But if you *exec* an external program that takes a while to run, say *exec
sleep 300*, then you can run *ps *in another window and see that the shell
from which you launched the *sleep* is no longer there; the *sleep* has
replaced it. In fact, you can see that the process ID formerly belonging to
it has been taken over:

Window 1:

*zsh% echo $$*
*42566*
*zsh% exec sleep 300*

Window 2:

*zsh% ps -fp42566*

*UID   PID  PPID   C STIME   TTY           TIME CMD*
*  501 42566 42383   0 11:05AM ttys003    0:00.11 sleep 300*

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>