On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote: > "Benjamin R. Haskell" writes: > > > [...] > > () { > > local tmp=$1 > > wget -q $link -O $tmp > > echo -n \$ > > grep \"answer\" $tmp | cut -d \$ -f 2 | cut -d \< -f 1 > > } =(:) > > } > > [...] > > Only remark is, if you do all this trouble to get > clean code, and then name the local "tmp", it is > almost comical. I like to think of it as a lingering code smell. Don't need a tmp file after all. ;-) [...] > > awk '/"answer"/' | > > awk instead of grep in this context should be strange > to many who are more familiar with grep, but grep has > the problem that many like to put colorization to it > which can screw up parsing. If the configuration > is in an environmental, I suppose not even giving the > full path to the binary to bypass an alias would get > them away. One can supply a specification, of course, > telling grep not to use colors, but rather than doing > that, I switched to awk as you suggested. > I tend to prefer awk for a few reasons: 1. Whatever I wanted to `grep` usually needs some small amount of post-processing. (not in this case, but usually scope expands.) 2. It's often one fewer pipe than a `grep ... | cut ...` 3. In a lot of contexts it's nice that it doesn't exit non-zero even if nothing matches. 4. Its implementations tend to be very consistent (no worries about GNU vs non-GNU or Linux/other that often arise with other utilities), so it's a good command to learn. I also changed the two cut:s for tr, and date +%Y from > the `one` syntax form into $(another). > I strongly favor $(another) due to its nestability. [...] > One interesting thing is tho I changed three programs > out of three used, I don't think this function is > anything "remote" to the one I originally wrote. > A small homage to the diversity of the Linux/Unix > tools, I suppose. But come to think of it there are > many players in the NHL that score some ~15 goals > every season, but that doesn't mean they cannot also > be completely different players, physical aspects as > well as those of skill and style... > I noticed that I'd changed all the tools you used, too. It's also fun to notice that (maybe?) 5 years ago, I probably would've used Perl for the whole pipeline, but these days I pretty rarely fall back to it. -- Best, Ben