I am using zsh 4.3.17. This series of initialization (with the attached, admittedly rather big DIRCOLORS.256), makes auto_cd very slow. zsh -f setopt AUTO_CD eval $(dircolors -b ~/DIRCOLORS.256) autoload -U compinit; compinit zstyle ':completion:*' list-colors ${${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}/\*/\=\*} zstyle ':completion:*' group-name '' What I am trying to achieve with the substitution in the list-colors style is to make the explicit coloring of files with file endings take precedent over, say, executables. With the above lines loaded, the following completion takes over a full second on my Linux system: /us whereas completion after an explicit cd is nearly instantaneous: cd /us It seems rather odd to me that coloring would render this so slow. I suppose the delay is caused by zsh trying to color some list of possible completions, but why would it be so very slow?