OK, I see. I already use url-quote-magic for pasting urls, but I can see the advantage of also being able to edit the paste before it's really inserted. On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Yuri D'Elia wrote: > On 06/03/2015 10:35 AM, Jesper Nygårds wrote: > > I have a hard time figuring out how this is useful. Could you guys post > > some examples of what you are using this function for? > > Bracketed paste is of course useful for copy/paste in the terminal. > > When pasting in a terminal, normally the shell receives the raw input, > including newlines, quotes and the like. There's no difference between > typing and pasting. For example, often you want to select a code snippet > from a web page, and the page might include extra markup that breaks the > command and/or runs it directly even when you're careful. > > Besides being dangerous, it's also annoying that you need to quote the > pasted text manually. For example > > wget > > will often fail if the url contains ?. You need to edit the command and > quote it. Annoying. > > Bracketed paste is implemented by the terminal+shell: the terminal sends > control sequences during paste that allow the shell to know that > something is being paste as opposed to being typed. The shell can then > act accordingly. > > In the 'safe-paste' oh-my-zsh plugin, the pasted text is not directly > executed: the newlines are inserted as a multi-line command instead, > which allow you to see the command before executing it instead. > > In the posted examples, you can actually chose if the pasted text should > be literal or quoted. With quoted paste, you can pass urls and similar > blocks of text as command arguments without having to fudge it. > >