Say I have a string containing a directory name. I know I can use the :a modifier to turn the string into the absolute path, but this does not seem to work with named directories, and if I read the documentation correctly, it's not supposed to. I wonder how I can go about resolving the string if it is a named directory. Here's an example of what I mean: % pwd /c/Program/Java % ls jdk16 jdk17 jre6 jre7 % mydir="jre6" % print ${mydir:a} /c/Program/Java/jre6 # Expexted % pr=~/projects % mydir="~pr" % print ${mydir:a} /c/Program/Java/~pr # What I wanted was "/home/jesper/projects" So, in the above example, is there a way to make $mydir resolve to the absolute path of the named directory ~pr, without using an external program?