I'm using zsh 5.3.1 I might have found a minor bug when running reset-prompt with a two-line prompt while displaying completion info. This is the complete .zshrc needed to reproduce the problem: # ========================== zmodload -i zsh/sched schedprompt() { zle && zle reset-prompt sched +5 schedprompt } schedprompt autoload -U compinit compinit PS1=$'first\n> ' # =========================== As you can see, it sets up the prompt to redraw every five seconds, and also sets up a two-line prompt. Now do this: 1) Type 'ls -' (the completion list for ls options is displayed) 2) Wait a few seconds (so that the prompt is redrawn) 3) Type any letters You will observe that the letters typed in the last item are displayed one line _above_ where it is supposed to be. A few seconds later, again when the prompt is redrawn, the text is repositioned in the right place. This seems like a bug to me.