zsh-users
From: "Jesper Nygårds" <jesper.nygards@gmail.com>
To: Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: Unable to build zsh with pcre on Mac Homebrew
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 20:37:14 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 4:43 PM Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com>
wrote:

> That's for you to decide.  You say you've done something (you haven't
> told us what) that you think will make it work.  Presumably that means
> you think you've somewhere added in the library information for pcre?
> It's not showing up in the output shown below, which suggests it's not
> in the LIBS shell variable in configure at that point.

Sorry for the badly specified questions, Peter: it was more out of
ignorance than lack of care: I had not figured out how the homebrew formula
ran the configure script. Your help set me on the right path, however, and
I have solved the problem. Thank you!

For anyone else having this particular problem, a recapitulation: homebrew
recently decided to not allow install options for their core packages. That
means that pcre support is no longer available as an install option for
zsh. One thus has to modify the zsh formula and then install zsh from
source to include pcre. Here are the steps:

- "brew edit zsh". Add the lines: ' depends_on "pcre" ' and '
"--enable-pcre", ' to the formula. It should be obvious where they fit.
- "brew remove zsh"
- "brew install --build-from-source zsh"