Are you using menu-completion? I do, and use this which works well for me: zstyle ':completion:*' file-patterns '*(-/):directories %p(^-/):globbed-files' '*:all-files' zstyle ':completion:*' group-order globbed-files all-files directories On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Daniel wrote: > When completing files in the current directory, I generally want it to > pick actual files first (and not directories). I am normally in the > directory where I want to work on a file, so when I do "qiv" or > "qiv foo" to view some image, I want the files first, and secondly > directories. I knew about group-order, but there seems to be only on > group "files"? > >