zsh-users
* How to yield an error with zparseopts when non-matching options are seen?
@ 2018-12-02 22:28 Peng Yu
From: Peng Yu @ 2018-12-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

In the following example, -b has not been defined as an option, but
`zparseopts` return successfully. Is there a way to let it yield an
error when it sees such a case?

$  ./main.sh
set -- -b -a x -a y
zparseopts -D a:=bar
echo $?
0
declare -p bar
typeset -a bar=(  )
declare -p argv
typeset -a argv=( -b -a x -a y )

set -- -b -a x -a y
zparseopts -D -E a:=bar
declare -p bar
typeset -a bar=( -a y )
declare -p argv
typeset -a argv=( -b )
$ cat ./main.sh
#!/usr/bin/env zsh
# vim: set noexpandtab tabstop=2:

set -v
set -- -b -a x -a y
zparseopts -D a:=bar
echo $?
declare -p bar
declare -p argv

set -- -b -a x -a y
zparseopts -D -E a:=bar
declare -p bar
declare -p argv

--
Regards,
Peng

* Re: How to yield an error with zparseopts when non-matching options are seen?
@ 2018-12-03  0:13 ` dana
From: dana @ 2018-12-03  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Yu; +Cc: zsh-users

On 2 Dec 2018, at 16:28, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>In the following example, -b has not been defined as an option, but
>`zparseopts` return successfully. Is there a way to let it yield an
>error when it sees such a case?

Not that i know of. If it didn't swallow up `--` you could check to see if the
first element remaining in argv is any other string beginning with a hyphen, but
since it does you can only rely on that method when no other argument to your
function/script can ever start with a hyphen:

  % myfunc() {
    local -a opts
    zparseopts -D -a opts a b c
    print -r - $? / $opts / $@
  }
  % myfunc -a -b -foo
  0 / -a -b / -foo
  % myfunc -a -b -- -foo
  0 / -a -b / -foo

If you're certain that that's the case (e.g., the first operand must be a digit
or an absolute path or something), then just abort if `[[ $1 == -* ]]`

dana

* Re: How to yield an error with zparseopts when non-matching options are seen?
@ 2018-12-03  0:44   ` dana
From: dana @ 2018-12-03  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Yu; +Cc: zsh-users

On 2 Dec 2018, at 18:13, dana <dana@dana.is> wrote:
>Not that i know of. If it didn't swallow up `--` you could check to see if the
>first element remaining in argv is any other string beginning with a hyphen

After i hit send it occurred to me that you can deal with this if you use -E,
but you'll have to do a second pass yourself to catch any bad options that it
leaves behind:

  myfunc() {
    local i
    local -a opts