A public service announcement for those running Zsh on Mac OS X. Upgrading to El Capitan (OS X 10.11) will install a /etc/zprofile that contains # system-wide environment settings for zsh(1) if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s` fi On a new login shell that will be sourced after your $HOME/.zshenv. If you set your $PATH in your .zshenv the /usr/libexec/path_helper program will alter the order of the directories. The order appears random so it's probably using a hashed set to avoid having the same directory appear more than once in the result. You can't remove /usr/libexec/path_helper due to the new security mechanisms (at least not without booting from a recovery disk) but you can remove /etc/zprofile which is what I did to keep my $PATH from being mucked with. -- Kurtis Rader Caretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank