No, it is not possible on UNIX like operating systems (which include Microsoft Windows) for "export" to "work between" xterms or any other set of programs. When you execute the "export" or "typeset -x" command in a zsh process it can only modify the environment for that zsh process. On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Ray Andrews wrote: > On 11/25/2014 08:54 PM, Kurtis Rader wrote: > >> If by "fake it" you mean cooperative processes that implement a protocol >> for exchanging environment variables then, yes, you can achieve the result >> desired by Ray. However I think that everyone trying to achieve this >> result >> wants to do so without having to implement a new data exchange protocol in >> every program. If they were willing to implement a private data exchange >> protocol they wouldn't be asking this question. :-) >> > > As it is, I pass some variables between running shells all the time in > 'preexec()'. > Specifically every shell in every xterm knows the current directory of > every > other so I can do: " cp foo $t4 " with ' $t4 ' being the current dir in > xterm #4. > > But that's not the problem, I just want 'export' to work between xterms if > possible. > It's hardly important tho. > > -- Kurtis Rader Caretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank