On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 7:41 PM, Ray Andrews wrote: > I have walked to school uphill both ways through--ok, it was only two feet > of snow, but it *was* uphill both ways. No, it could not have been uphill both ways. That's the point of the aphorism "I walked uphill both ways". In our reality there could only be a net increase in elevation in one direction. When someone claims to have "walked uphill both ways" they are exaggerating, usually for ironic effect. When you say "it *was* uphill both ways" you're implying it was literally true. Which is impossible. -- Kurtis Rader Caretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank