On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Janke wrote: > > > I suspect the order of entries in path_helper is determined by > alphabetical ordering of the filenames in /etc/paths.d, where path_helper > locates the files that come after the default system paths. That "40-" in > XQuartz looks like an rcdir-style technique to enforce ordering, and I > think the XQuartz folks know what they're doing with the OS X system stuff. > (This is on 10.9.) > That would be fine if it simply appended those directories in that order to the existing PATH as the man page claims. But it is clearly using a hash based ordering and ignoring even the apparent ordering implied by the file names in /etc/paths.d. From my system: 14:45 macbook coff ~ ls /etc/paths.d 40-XQuartz go 14:50 macbook coff ~ cat /etc/paths.d/* /opt/X11/bin /usr/local/go/bin 14:52 macbook coff ~ /usr/libexec/path_helper -s PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:/Users/krader/bin:/Users/krader/sbin:/Users/krader/symlinks:/usr/local/sbin"; export PATH; 14:52 macbook coff ~ echo $PATH /Users/krader/bin:/Users/krader/sbin:/Users/krader/symlinks:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin One other El Capitan change: the system-supplied zsh (5.0.8) appears to be > compiled with /usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions in the default $fpath, > which was not the case for earlier versions of OS X. This is probably > related to the "rootless" stuff that locks down /usr outside /usr/local/. > Yes, I noticed that as well and should have mentioned it as it causes zsh running as root to complain about "compinit: insecure files" since those files are managed by HomeBrew and owned by me. Computer Security: If it isn't getting in your way you're doing it wrong :-) -- Kurtis Rader Caretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank