On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote: > > On Dec 18, 10:58pm, Ray Andrews wrote: > > } So vital to have known the mind of the master. > > Chuckle. When zsh was written he was a brilliant but inexperienced > programmer, trying to help his csh-afflicted classmates get used to > Bourne shell scripting. He didn't continue working on zsh for long > after entering the real world. > We're definitely getting a bit off-topic but I have to second your "csh-afflicted" comment. My team (before Sequent hired me) briefly adopted use of csh (on a Sequent Symmetry with four 20 MHz i386 CPUs and 32 MB not GB of memory :-) for both interactive use and scripting. Given the other options (essentially just the Bourne shell) it was a huge improvement for interactive use. But for scripting it was a nightmare. Google "csh considered harmful" for details. Thankfully the Korn shell (ksh) soon became available. -- Kurtis Rader Caretaker of the exceptional canines Junior and Hank