Ok, my suspicion is that the problem occurs if the completed name can expand to both a named directory and a local directory. My directory structure: /workdirs/projects/myproject/src/python/mymodule/submodule # Define a named directory src=/workdirs/projects/myproject/src : src # cd inside the tree cd /workdirs/projects/myproject # try to go deeper cd sr # completes 'sr' to 'cd src' (without a slash) cd src # another tab - emits a bell sound cd src # yet another tab - add a slash: 'src/' It seems like the completion engine cannot choose between the named directory and a local directory of the same name. In reality, they point to the same dir. Is there a way to fix this behavior? I'm using a lot of named directories, they are very convenient. In fact, they are the main reason I switched to zsh. Peter Here, сре, 4. авг 2021. у 17:45 Bart Schaefer је написао/ла: > On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 8:02 AM Peter Slížik > wrote: > > > > As I said, I have a lot of settings in my .zshrc and I don't know which > of them could make the change in completion behavior. Could you kindly > point me where to start or how to trace the problem? > > The place to start is nearly always to first type ctrl+x h instead of > tab, to get a description of the context, and if that doesn't help, > type ctrl+x question-mark in place of tab, to invoke completion > debugging, which leaves a trace file in /tmp. >