Dear Mikael & Bart, yes, both solutions work. Taking into account that there are more keymaps, I think that the best solution would be to remap the keys *only* for the emacs keymap, leaving the other keymaps untouched. bindkey -M emacs ' ' expand_abbreviations But alas, this changes the behavior of isearch, too. The documentation is really sometimes too wordy and, in cases like this, too terse. Peter пон, 26. јул 2021. у 23:10 Bart Schaefer је написао/ла: > On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 8:58 AM Mikael Magnusson > wrote: > > > > On 7/26/21, Peter Slížik wrote: > > > > > > zle -N expand-abbreviations _expand_abbreviations > > > bindkey ' ' expand-abbreviations > > > > > > The problem with this solution is that it breaks the way that Ctrl+R > > > history search works. > > > > You can use bindkey -M isearch ' ' self-insert to restore the previous > behavior. > > I believe you could also do > > zle -N magic-space _expand_abbreviations > bindkey ' ' magic-space > > because the isearch keymap already understands what (not) to do with > magic-space. >