Thanks yes. There are lots of /etc/z* files and some of them have stuff in them, so that seems to be the problem. More specifically: The file /etc/zprofile sources /etc/profile which has stuff in it The file /etc/zshrc has the following: if [ "x$SHLVL" != "x1" ]; then for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do if [ -r "$i" ]; then . $i fi done unset i fi At this point I have some questions: 1) What doest the if statement above test? 2) When I run a zsh script, how can I prevent it from running /etc/zshrc? 3) When I switch to zsh from tcsh on an interactive shell using exec zsh -l, how I can I prevent it from running /etc/zprofile? Thanks again for all your help, James On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:26 PM, James Jong wrote: > > > Thanks. I just checked and /etc/zshenv is empty (it only has a few > automatically-generated comments explaining what it is for). > > Are there any other /etc/z* files? > > vq