zsh-users
* Use helper functions for git completion in my own completions
@ 2011-10-18 12:10 Ansgar Burchardt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ansgar Burchardt @ 2011-10-18 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

is it possible to use the helper functions defined in "_git" for the git
command in my own completion functions?

I am taking my first steps with writing completions for the
git-import-dsc, git-import-orig commands in Debian, but am not surehow I
can make sure helper functions such as __git_branch_names are available
when I user "git-import-dsc" (they are available when I use "git
import-dsc").

Regards,
Ansgar

* Re: Use helper functions for git completion in my own completions
@ 2011-10-18 14:58 ` Julien Nicoulaud
From: Julien Nicoulaud @ 2011-10-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

May be _dispatch could do it ?

@ 2011-10-18 18:50 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2011-10-18 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> is it possible to use the helper functions defined in "_git" for the git
> command in my own completion functions?

It seems to work if you modify $words in _git-import-dsc, call _git
and rely on it calling you back. As follows:

#compdef git-import-dsc
if [[ $words[1] = git-* ]]; then
  words=( ${=words[1]/-/ } ${words[2,-1]} )
  _git "$@"
  return
fi

The rest of your function can then follow on here and everything in _git
should be defined.

Oliver

* Re: Use helper functions for git completion in my own completions
@ 2011-10-18 20:05 ` Benjamin R. Haskell
From: Benjamin R. Haskell @ 2011-10-18 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to use the helper functions defined in "_git" for the
> git command in my own completion functions?

Yes, though with the recent(-ish) rewrite (and in general), I'm not sure
there's really a stable API.

E.g. if __git_pattern_escape isn't needed by _git anymore, I suspect it
would simply disappear.  As would __git_commits2, or whatnot.

> I am taking my first steps with writing completions for the
> git-import-dsc, git-import-orig commands in Debian, but am not surehow
> I can make sure helper functions such as __git_branch_names are
> available when I user "git-import-dsc" (they are available when I use
> "git import-dsc").

If you create the _git-{command-name} function (e.g. _git-import-dsc),
it will be used by _git (at least by the version of _git I'm currently
using).  By virtue of being used from within _git, all of the helper
functions will exist, because they're defined when _git is autoloaded.

--
Best,
Ben

* Re: Use helper functions for git completion in my own completions
@ 2011-10-18 20:28   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2011-10-18 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin R. Haskell; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 22:05, Benjamin R. Haskell <zsh@benizi.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

>> is it possible to use the helper functions defined in "_git" for the git
>> command in my own completion functions?
>
> Yes, though with the recent(-ish) rewrite (and in general), I'm not sure
> there's really a stable API.
>
> E.g. if __git_pattern_escape isn't needed by _git anymore, I suspect it
> would simply disappear.  As would __git_commits2, or whatnot.

Yes.  The helpers are still in need of a clean-up.  I have a rather
sizable todo-list still, but preciously little time.