On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Anthony R Fletcher wrote: > I just realised that the 'wait' command will either wait for specified > jobs or all jobs and nothing in between. The manual says "If job is not > given then all currently active child processes are waited for.". > > So > sleep 30 & > sleep 10 & > sleep 30 & > sleep 30 & > wait > waits for all the sleeps to finish. > > How can I wait for just the next job to finish? > Just don't run it in the background. or do it like this: (job1 ; job2) or, if you want to make sure that job2 only runs if job1 succeeds: (job1 && job2) TjL ps - my apologies if I am misunderstanding the question >