On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Phil Pennock < zsh-workers+phil.pennock@spodhuis.org> wrote: > > Is that closer? > > Note though that leading (and trailing) whitespace becomes significant. > > Similarly, you can use: > APPS=(${=${:-' > for the first line, to actually split on $IFS, in which case changing > IFS does affect parsing here. > > -Phil > If I do that then I can no longer use "$f[5]" to refer to the 5th _line_ … I end up getting a single character instead of a line. That said, at least I understand why it's not working as I expected it to. For my purposes, I think "APPS=(" is fine, I'll just need to remember to escape the \ or wrap everything in " Thanks! TjL