zsh-users
* Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-03 16:56 Kyle Partridge
From: Kyle Partridge @ 2012-04-03 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I have a slow loading zsh, where it sometimes takes longer than 10 seconds
to get to a prompt.

I think the problem is compinit - I've run "zsh -v" multiple times to try
and find a slow down, and that seems to be the part that it hangs on.

Is there any way to make this run faster? Is there a better way to debug
this problem?

--
Thanks,
Kyle

* Re: Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-03 17:50 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2012-04-03 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Partridge; +Cc: zsh-users

On 3 April 2012 18:56, Kyle Partridge <partkyle@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a slow loading zsh, where it sometimes takes longer than 10 seconds
> to get to a prompt.
>
> I think the problem is compinit - I've run "zsh -v" multiple times to try
> and find a slow down, and that seems to be the part that it hangs on.
>
> Is there any way to make this run faster? Is there a better way to debug
> this problem?

Are you using 4.3.11-4.3.15? They have a feature enabled that causes
the path hash to be populated a bit slower. <.10 didn't have the
feature and .16+ lets you disable it and has it disabled by default.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-03 18:28   ` Kyle Partridge
From: Kyle Partridge @ 2012-04-03 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: zsh-users

This is on OS X Lion, so the version bundled is 4.3.15. I'm on OS X, so I
had to install a newer version using brew (4.3.17).

That seems to be helping for now. I will try this out for a while to see if
it helps.

--
Thanks,
Kyle

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 April 2012 18:56, Kyle Partridge <partkyle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a slow loading zsh, where it sometimes takes longer than 10
> seconds
> > to get to a prompt.
> >
> > I think the problem is compinit - I've run "zsh -v" multiple times to try
> > and find a slow down, and that seems to be the part that it hangs on.
> >
> > Is there any way to make this run faster? Is there a better way to debug
> > this problem?
>
> Are you using 4.3.11-4.3.15? They have a feature enabled that causes
> the path hash to be populated a bit slower. <.10 didn't have the
> feature and .16+ lets you disable it and has it disabled by default.
>
> --
> Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-03 18:30     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2012-04-03 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Partridge; +Cc: zsh-users

If you're on osx you'll also want to mv /etc/zshenv /etc/zprofile

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-09 13:37       ` Daniel Serodio (lists)
From: Daniel Serodio (lists) @ 2012-04-09 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Kyle Partridge, zsh-users

That's curious, would you mind explaining why?

Regards,
Daniel Serodio

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> If you're on osx you'll also want to mv /etc/zshenv /etc/zprofile
>
> On 3 April 2012 20:28, Kyle Partridge<partkyle@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> This is on OS X Lion, so the version bundled is 4.3.15. I'm on OS X, so I
>> had to install a newer version using brew (4.3.17).
>>
>> That seems to be helping for now. I will try this out for a while to see if
>> it helps.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Kyle

>>> Are you using 4.3.11-4.3.15? They have a feature enabled that causes
>>> the path hash to be populated a bit slower.<.10 didn't have the
>>> feature and .16+ lets you disable it and has it disabled by default.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-09 13:49         ` TJ Luoma
From: TJ Luoma @ 2012-04-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Serodio (lists); +Cc: Mikael Magnusson, Kyle Partridge, zsh-users

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Daniel Serodio (lists)
<daniel.lists@mandic.com.br> wrote:
> That's curious, would you mind explaining why?

/etc/zshenv on Mac OS X sets the path, which some people don't like.

If you rename /etc/zshenv to /etc/zprofile, it will only set the path
for interactive/login shells.

TjL

* Re: Slow ZSH
@ 2012-04-10  0:25           ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2012-04-10  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TJ Luoma; +Cc: Daniel Serodio (lists), Kyle Partridge, zsh-users

On 9 April 2012 15:49, TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Daniel Serodio (lists)
> <daniel.lists@mandic.com.br> wrote:
>> That's curious, would you mind explaining why?
>
> /etc/zshenv on Mac OS X sets the path, which some people don't like.
>
> If you rename /etc/zshenv to /etc/zprofile, it will only set the path
> for interactive/login shells.

Not only does it set the path, but it does so with a quite slow
command (path_helper iirc). Setting the path from a *env file makes it
impossible for any instance of zsh to inherit the path from the
environment, including when you run a script.

--
Mikael Magnusson