zsh-users
* Missing .zshenv file in /etc
@ 2020-05-27 12:58 Rob Mardin
From: Rob Mardin @ 2020-05-27 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello there; I am scratching my head to find how to create .zshenv in /etc
folder on Mac OS (Catalina). I thought that this file is automatically
created. Could someone help point me to how to autoconfig, ie reinstantiate
zsh so that I have the necessary files to start learning zsh scripting.

Many thanks for your help.

Robert.

* Re: Missing .zshenv file in /etc
@ 2020-05-27 13:16 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2020-05-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Mardin, zsh-users

> On 27 May 2020 at 13:58 Rob Mardin <rmardin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there; I am scratching my head to find how to create .zshenv in /etc
> folder on Mac OS (Catalina). I thought that this file is automatically
> created. Could someone help point me to how to autoconfig, ie reinstantiate
> zsh so that I have the necessary files to start learning zsh scripting.

No idea about Mac OS, but normally that file --- actually /etc/zshenv, no "."
--- isn't present on most systems, as it would be executed by every
single instance of zsh that starts on the system.  This is generally a bad
thing unless there's some overriding local reason for that.

It's much more normal to have other /etc/z* files, trying looking for those.

I'm not sure learning zsh scripting form standard system files is a
particularly great way anyway, but I'm saying that without having actually
looked at the Mac OS ones.  There will be plenty of examples around the web.

pws

* Re: Missing .zshenv file in /etc
@ 2020-05-27 14:00   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-05-27 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Rob Mardin, zsh-users

I have these files:

    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   260 Oct 13  2019 /etc/zshenv
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  3094 Feb 29 00:58 /etc/zshrc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   911 Sep  3  2019 /etc/zshrc_Apple_Terminal

I’m on macOS 10.15.4 and I did a fresh install so I’m pretty sure I have the “stock” configuration.

@ 2020-05-27 14:54 ` TJ Luoma
From: TJ Luoma @ 2020-05-27 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)