I wish it were that simple a case. Turns out there are other cases where a script that runs well in non-interactive move would crash when run with -i. In my case it was trap for TSTP. A workaround is to put ``setopt nomonitor``, which in my case is valid as I don't need job control. Though what is interesting is that the script ends with an error code of 0. Anyway the exit behavior itself is inconsitent. Try two experiments: 1) add ``trap 'foo=1' TSTP`` as first line of your sample code in this thread. This time zsh would complain but not exit. 2) add ``trap 'foo=1' TSTP`` to your function read-field() or in while loop. This time zsh will exit with error code 1. In my script, where the trap is somewhere in 3 or 4th level function in the stack, the script exits with exit code 0. Here's the link to relevant part of code: https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh/blob/b1533066ca7d50c88b37ce72093c12cf19807818/Src/signals.c#L921-L924 ``` if (jobbing && (sig == SIGTTOU || sig == SIGTSTP || sig == SIGTTIN)) { zerr("can't trap SIG%s in interactive shells", sigs[sig]); return 1; } ``` I figured ``setopt nomonitor`` disables jobbing, and bypasses executing that if block. On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 1:43 AM Roman Perepelitsa < roman.perepelitsa@gmail.com> wrote: > On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 9:57 AM OG Code Poet wrote: > > > > My larger script misbehaves and exits with 0 before it could > > complete if I replace #!/usr/bin/env zsh with #!/usr/bin/env -S zsh > > -fi or #!/usr/bin/env -S zsh -i. > > You might want to try to figure out why. > > > Is there a restriction on starting any existing functional zsh > > program with -fi? Put another way, are all non-interactive shell > > scripts guaranteed to function when shebang is changed to > > #!/usr/bin/env -S zsh -fi?? > > If you put something like this in a script, it won't work the same way > in interactive shell: > > [[ -o interactive ]] && exit > > In general, if your script needs interactive features, it makes > perfect sense to use an interactive shell as the interpreter. > > Roman. >