zsh-users
* Has zsh a way of jumping to a directory as Quicksilver does in OS X?
@ 2013-09-03 10:54 Leonardo Barbosa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leonardo Barbosa @ 2013-09-03 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello all,

I was wondering whether is a command that makes you jump to directory
by passing as argument part of the path of this directory. For
example, as QuickSilver does in OS X or launchy does in Windows
systems. They index your whole path and stores information based on
you recently use to display suggestions.

Thanks

Leo

* Re: Has zsh a way of jumping to a directory as Quicksilver does in OS X?
@ 2013-09-03 12:09 ` richo
From: richo @ 2013-09-03 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Barbosa; +Cc: zsh-users

On 03/09/13 07:54 -0300, Leonardo Barbosa wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I was wondering whether is a command that makes you jump to directory
>by passing as argument part of the path of this directory. For
>example, as QuickSilver does in OS X or launchy does in Windows
>systems. They index your whole path and stores information based on
>you recently use to display suggestions.
>
>Thanks
>
>Leo

There are lots, although I tend to think that if your heirarchy is so complex
it's hard to navigate, that's probably the bottleneck:

https://github.com/joelthelion/autojump
https://github.com/rupa/z

--
richo || Today's excuse:

We didn't pay the Internet bill and it's been cut off.
http://blog.psych0tik.net

* Re: Has zsh a way of jumping to a directory as Quicksilver does in OS X?
@ 2013-09-03 14:21 ` Amel Hadzifejzovic
From: Amel Hadzifejzovic @ 2013-09-03 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Barbosa; +Cc: zsh-users

There is fasd https://github.com/clvv/fasd, I'm using it all the time.
It's available as a module for oh-my-zsh and prezto if you use those,
but it's pretty trivial to set up manually. I highly recommend it.

@ 2013-09-03 17:57 ` Micah Elliott
From: Micah Elliott @ 2013-09-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Leonardo Barbosa
<leonardo.barbosa@dcc.ufmg.br> wrote:
> I was wondering whether is a command that makes you jump to directory
> by passing as argument part of the path of this directory. For
> example, as QuickSilver does in OS X or launchy does in Windows
> systems. They index your whole path and stores information based on
> you recently use to display suggestions.

Zsh is already so capable at cd-/pushd-ing around. I worked on an
overview of this a while back and was going to post/record it someday,
somewhere, so I'll stick into a gist  for now.
https://gist.github.com/MicahElliott/6427072 (the frecency stuff would
be cool but maybe overkill if workflow/locations are well enough
organized?)

--
twitter:@MicahElliott  |  email:mde@MicahElliott.com  |  http://membean.com
Remember your words with Membean!