zsh-users
* Re: Zsh startup really slow after upgrade to fedora 15 [SOLVED]
@ 2011-09-08 19:56 Renato Botelho
From: Renato Botelho @ 2011-09-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Sep 5, 10:35pm, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> }
> } We solved this on irc, it turned out to be that group lookup thing in
> } compaudit you fixed/worked around the other week
>
> Curious that upgrading to Fedora 15 would cause that.  I would expect
> it only to occur in a networked environment.  It is possible that F15
> has the networked version of getent enabled by default now, and the
> long delay is because it's waiting for a connection to a non-existent
> server to time out?

Like Mikael said, i added 'compinit -u' and it helped me a lot, but i
was still having a big delay on completion.

After dig into it i figured out my problem was being caused because
i had a symlink "/usr/bin/foo" that was pointing to a NFS mounted
directory, and it was the cause of delay. After remove this symlink
it started to work fine again even if i remove -u option from compinit.

The conclusion is it was just an environment problem, not zsh, sorry
for the noise.

And i figured out it started happening after i upgrade to fedora 15
because there is a local repository with tools from the company i
work for, and one of those packages created that link on my
/usr/bin.

Regards
--
Renato Botelho

* Re: Zsh startup really slow after upgrade to fedora 15 [SOLVED]
@ 2011-09-08 21:24 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2011-09-08 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 8,  4:56pm, Renato Botelho wrote:
}
} After dig into it i figured out my problem was being caused because
} i had a symlink "/usr/bin/foo" that was pointing to a NFS mounted
} directory, and it was the cause of delay. After remove this symlink
} it started to work fine again

If you want to restore that link (because you need that program), you
can pre-load the hash table for it:

hash foo=/usr/bin/foo

I *think* this will cause zsh to skip over that name when it later
populates the hash for the /usr/bin directory, which *should* avoid
the NFS mount delay.  If you try it, let us know if it works.

* Re: Zsh startup really slow after upgrade to fedora 15 [SOLVED]
@ 2011-09-09 19:59   ` Renato Botelho
From: Renato Botelho @ 2011-09-09 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8,  4:56pm, Renato Botelho wrote:
> }
> } After dig into it i figured out my problem was being caused because
> } i had a symlink "/usr/bin/foo" that was pointing to a NFS mounted
> } directory, and it was the cause of delay. After remove this symlink
> } it started to work fine again
>
> If you want to restore that link (because you need that program), you
> can pre-load the hash table for it:
>
> hash foo=/usr/bin/foo
>
> I *think* this will cause zsh to skip over that name when it later
> populates the hash for the /usr/bin directory, which *should* avoid
> the NFS mount delay.  If you try it, let us know if it works.

Hello Bart,

I tried you suggestion with no success, after re-create the symlink
delay was back.

Regards
--
Renato Botelho