Actually, `man terminfo` showed me the `cuu` command which accepts a parameter referring to the number of lines to move up. Changing the aforementioned line to: trap 'tput cuu 2' WINCH seems to work consistently and does not make the prompt move down when resizing the terminal :) 2011/9/25 Jorge Israel Peña > Hey Bart, you said move up one less line than the amount you have. So I was > playing around with the prompt by making it three lines (so that there's an > empty line after the previous command's output, etc.) and the way I did it > is: > > trap 'tput cuu1 tput cuu1' WINCH > > But I don't think this is the correct way? When I resize the terminal > horizontally with this, the prompt keeps moving down by itself, but this > doesn't happen when it's just one line and there is only one 'tput cuu1', so > I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong. Would appreciate any comments. > > > 2011/9/25 Jorge Israel Peña > >> Thanks for your time Bart. >> >> I have tested your workaround and it does seem to work! This seems better >> because there is no need to wrap the prompt directive in a function or any >> of that stuff. >> >> I saw your post on the workers mailing list, thanks again for taking the >> time to look into it. Hopefully now that you've brought attention to this it >> could be discussed by people more knowledgeable with the zsh source and >> perhaps even get it fixed. >> >> For now I'm glad I have a workaround I can use in .zshrc at least :) >> >> Thanks again! >> >> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Bart Schaefer > > wrote: >> >>> On Sep 24, 4:24pm, Jorge Israel Pena wrote: >>> } >>> } So are there any known workarounds? Or is this something that would >>> } have to be fixed in zsh itself? >>> >>> Until a few minutes ago I'd have said it was something that needed to >>> be fixed in Terminal, but I may have found a zsh bug that's behind it >>> all. I've sent a possible fix to zsh-workers for discussion. >>> >>> On Sep 24, 5:14pm, Jorge Israel Pena wrote: >>> } >>> } Hey guys. I have extracted what I felt were the relevant parts from my >>> } previously posted link. Like I said, I am no zsh expert (In fact I'm >>> } completely new to it) so I don't know if this is right or if there are >>> } more efficient, better ways of doing this. >>> } >>> } Source: https://gist.github.com/1240023 >>> } >>> } I tested it various times and it seems to be working perfectly. >>> >>> I don't find any evidence that this helps except possibly by waiting to >>> change the prompt until the first time the WINCH is received, which >>> would avoid the startup-time double prompt. I still get the prompt >>> printed multiple times if I later resize the window. >>> >>> However, >>> >>> trap 'tput cuu1' WINCH >>> >>> (that is, move up one line on each WINCH signal) might work around it >>> for you. If your prompt has more than two lines, you'll need to move >>> up one less than the number of lines in the prompt. >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> - Jorge Israel Peña >> > > > > -- > - Jorge Israel Peña > -- - Jorge Israel Peña