Hey guys. I have extracted what I felt were the relevant parts from my previously posted link. Like I said, I am no zsh expert (In fact I'm completely new to it) so I don't know if this is right or if there are more efficient, better ways of doing this. Source: https://gist.github.com/1240023 I tested it various times and it seems to be working perfectly. What the script seems to do is wrap the PROMPT or PS1 directive in a function, and then does a `trap func WINCH` on it. Also call the function in precmd so it happens all the time? Like I said, it seems like it works, but is this the best way of solving this? If it is, then I'm glad I've found a way to solve this :) 2011/9/24 Jorge Israel Peña > Thanks for the replies. At least I'm glad to know it's not just me, I spent > a few hours on this wondering if it was something I could have screwed up. > > So are there any known workarounds? Or is this something that would have to > be fixed in zsh itself? > > I found this [ http://www.df.lth.se/~arno/kod/prompt/uberprompt-sh ] which > has a comment near the end: > > > Mac OS X Terminal.app and IRIX xwsh seems to send repetetive WINCH to > solaris boxen > > Then it includes some code, but I don't know if it's a workaround to this > problem in particular (it seems like it is, includes some sort of trapping > of the WINCHes), much less how to make use of that code. I just figured I'd > post it in case some of you guys could make sense of it (that section in > particular is pretty short). > > Hopefully it could provide some information that we can use to fix this, or > at least provide a workaround. The two prompts that pop up are pretty > jarring, somehow. > > On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Mikael Magnusson wrote: > >> On 24 September 2011 20:24, Bart Schaefer >> wrote: >> > On Sep 23, 7:52pm, Jorge Israel Pena wrote: >> > } >> > } The problem I'm encountering is that when I create a newline in the >> prompt, >> > } the prompt gets printed twice when I open the terminal. >> > >> > We've been wrestling with this one for a while. The trouble seems to be >> > that Terminal sends extra WINCH (window size change) signals to the >> shell, >> > which causes it to reprint the prompt. >> > >> > Zsh doesn't attempt to perform a cursor-up before printing the prompt, >> as >> > for command line editing purposes it only keeps track of the appearance >> of >> > the final line. >> >> I'm seeing some strange behaviour here, when I resize after setting >> PS1='%D{%s} hello >> there ' >> I do get the first line twice, but subsequent resizes properly redraws >> both lines in place, updating the time too. Pressing enter then causes >> the next resize to double the first line and then subsequent ones work >> again. >> >> -- >> Mikael Magnusson >> > > > > -- > - Jorge Israel Peña > -- - Jorge Israel Peña