It looks like I need to match on the description prior to calling _describe. Using -U and -V together achieved what I was trying to do. The kicker was also adding compstate[insert]="automenu" to prevent common prefix insertion which when you are matching within descriptions the common prefix could be empty! Thanks! On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:38 AM Daniel Shahaf wrote: > Nicholas Wiles wrote on Fri, 08 Jun 2018 11:13 -0700: > > I have a question about the _describe builtin. > > I am building a binary that provides dynamic completions using a > completion > > function. > > > > Is to possible to provide completions to _describe that will be matched > not > > only on the text of the completion but also on words/text in the > > description? > > I asked this once and the answer was that that wasn't possible. I'd > have linked you to the thread but I looked for it and can't find it :( > > > Or, is it possible to turn off completion matching entirely > > and have zsh present the user with a verbatim set of completions provided > > to compadd or _describe? Thanks in advance! > > Does passing -U (and possibly -V) to compadd do what you need? >