zsh-users
* Examples of ZSH functions, aliases, etc.?
@ 2012-09-27  1:11 TjL
From: TjL @ 2012-09-27  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Is there a repository somewhere of zsh examples: functions, aliases,
etc. that people have made? Maybe identified as beginner,
intermediate, advanced?

I find that I learn better from looking at (commented :-) examples
than from abstractions.

I'd be interested in such a collection, if it exists… if not, I
wondered if there might be interest in making one, somewhere where it
can be access/edited/maintained by a group of people, not just one
person so it doesn't dry up when one person loses interest, or
whatever.

TjL

* Re: Examples of ZSH functions, aliases, etc.?
@ 2012-09-27  1:30 ` Gabor Maghera
From: Gabor Maghera @ 2012-09-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TjL; +Cc: Zsh Users

Zsh-lovers is something right along those lines.
http://grml.org/zsh/zsh-lovers.html

--
Gabor

@ 2012-09-27  2:20   ` TjL
From: TjL @ 2012-09-27  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Maghera; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Gabor Maghera <gmaghera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Zsh-lovers is something right along those lines.
> http://grml.org/zsh/zsh-lovers.html

That's true… but for some reason every time I try to read it though I
get overwhelmed. It seems to throw you into the deep end pretty
quickly, IMO.

@ 2012-09-27  9:20   ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2012-09-27  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Maghera; +Cc: TjL, Zsh Users

Hi,

2012/9/27 Gabor Maghera <gmaghera@gmail.com>:
> Zsh-lovers is something right along those lines.
> http://grml.org/zsh/zsh-lovers.html

http://www.zzapper.co.uk/zshtips.html
http://zshwiki.org/

Now, the zsh man (man zshall) is certainly the most complete and the
most accurate documentation to learn zsh (after the source), because
tips often only scratch the surface of things.

Also, because learning many things at once is hard and because people
always find amazingly smart ways to get more of their tools, I'd
recommend to:
 - subscribe to one of the rss feeds of http://www.commandlinefu.com/,
for example “commands with 10 up-votes” — this is not only about zsh,
but there are many cool tricks there ;
 - read the zsh configuration of your coworkers, people on this
mailing list… (mine is there :
https://github.com/Arkanosis/Arkonf/tree/master/zsh) ;
 - keep reading this mailing list: it's rather low volume, with often
interesting questions asked and answered by smart people, some of them
with very deep knowledge of zsh and shells in general — but I see
you're reading it for way longer than I do :)

Best regards,

--
Jérémie