zsh-users
* auto suggestions
@ 2012-06-07  9:28 Miek Gieben
From: Miek Gieben @ 2012-06-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Hello,

I just saw some references to the fish shell on twitter
http://ridiculousfish.com/shell/ and noticed a rather nice
feature of fish: auto-suggestion:
http://ridiculousfish.com/shell/images/autosuggestion.png

Is somelike like that even remotely possible with zsh?

I currently use:
bindkey -M viins '\e[A' history-beginning-search-backward-end

so that I can type something and then press the UP arrow to get
it completed. But in fish the completion happens on the command line,
which is way more cooler :)

 Regards,

--
    Miek Gieben                                                   http://miek.nl

* Re: auto suggestions
@ 2012-06-07 14:48 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2012-06-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

On Jun 7, 11:28am, Miek Gieben wrote:
}
} http://ridiculousfish.com/shell/images/autosuggestion.png
}
} Is somelike like that even remotely possible with zsh?

Search the zsh manual for "predict".

It's been a while since the predictive typing widgets were updated,
there may be some stuff that could be done better or that has poor
interactions with recent changes to completion.  Also it's very
sensitive to variations in completion-related zstyles, some things
that work well when hammering away on the TAB key are not useful
when trying to insert a single best guess on the fly.  So you may
need to spend some time tweaking styles if you want to use it.

Also the size of your shell history determines how much stuff can be
remembered and predicted -- that fish example suggests that it will
remember that command forever, but zsh will only remember it until
it is rolled out of your history by more recent commands.

* Re: auto suggestions
@ 2012-06-07 15:43   ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2012-06-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh users

2012/6/7 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>:
> On Jun 7, 11:28am, Miek Gieben wrote:
> }
> } http://ridiculousfish.com/shell/images/autosuggestion.png
> }
> } Is somelike like that even remotely possible with zsh?
>
> Search the zsh manual for "predict".

I'm always amazed at how zsh already provides for years the few rare
features I sometimes discover in other shells :-)

--
Jérémie

* Re: auto suggestions
@ 2012-06-07 16:16 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2012-06-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Is this a separate shell from the one at http://fishshell.com/ ?

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: auto suggestions
@ 2012-06-07 16:50   ` Miek Gieben
From: Miek Gieben @ 2012-06-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[ Quoting <schaefer@brasslantern.com> in "Re: auto suggestions..." ]
> Search the zsh manual for "predict".

indeed, thanks.

It works fine But after playing with it for a few minutes it doesn't seem that
useful... :-)

 Regards,

--
    Miek Gieben                                                   http://miek.nl