Hi Dana, The example you posted works, and also my widget works if i use 'fc -l' to view the history after executing it. What doesn't work for me though is pressing up after executing the widget, I don't see the entry added with 'print -s'. If I execute another command in the shell I am then able to see the entry added with 'print -s' by pressing up twice. I'm wondering if you experience the same, possibly this has been fixed in newer versions of zsh? I'm on - zsh 5.4.2 (x86_64-ubuntu-linux-gnu) On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 3:35 AM dana wrote: > On 2 Jan 2020, at 11:14, Piers Powlesland > wrote: > > I tried to use "print -s xxxxx" to add entries to the history from > within a > > widget but it doesn't seem to work, although executing the function not > as > > a widget does allow me to add entries to the history. > > Maybe i misunderstand, but it seems to work for me: > > % zsh -f > % foo() { print -s foo test }; zle -N foo; bindkey '^r' foo > % # Press Ctrl+R > % fc -l > 1 foo() { print -s foo test }; zle -N foo; bindkey '^r' foo > 2 foo test > % > > What exactly are you doing that's not working? > > dana > >