zsh-users
* Cursor save/restore is redrawing over existing output
@ 2020-12-18  2:25 Seth House
From: Seth House @ 2020-12-18  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello. I'm seeing Zsh behavior I was hoping someone could shed some
light on.

When I save the cursor position, then output something, and then restore
the cursor position the text that was output is redrawn over (blanked).

To reproduce:

% exec zsh -d -f
% printf '\e[s'
% printf 'Hello, world\n'
Hello, world
% printf '\e[u'

Everything prints as expected until the final printf. After that the
cursor does indeed move, however everything below the first printf is
erased.

In contrast with Bash and Busybox sh the cursor position moves but the
contents of the terminal are not changed. Is this intended behavior or
am I missing something else?

Using xterm on Fedora.

% zsh --version
zsh 5.8 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)