From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
To: "Lawrence Velázquez" <vq@larryv.me>
Cc: Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: What's wrong with PROMPT_SUBST? (Was: VCS info (Re: Call for good plugins list))
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 21:23:32 -0800

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 1:38 AM Lawrence Velázquez <vq@larryv.me> wrote:

> > On Oct 1, 2017, at 5:50 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > The main thing is that I despise prompt_subst
>
> Why is that?

Mostly it's a matter of taste.  It introduces yet another set of
tokens that you have to escape to use literally in prompts, and I
don't think the prompt is an appropriate place to be running command
substitutions.  It means even more possible collisions on variable
names with unintended side-effects.   Obviously these are things that
can be avoided; I'd just rather not have to think about them.