zsh-users
* Several modules can only be used dynamically?
@ 2019-12-05 15:41 ` Norbert Lange
From: Norbert Lange @ 2019-12-05 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

I use a static build (toolchain without any support for dl-open) of
zsh, and I just found out that I am missing the zsh/regex Module even
though configure found all buildtime requirements.
Looking at the source it seems that this and several other modules are
only allowed to me built dynamically.

Is this the intention? If this is some License issue, then first I am
using musl (which should not add any issues) and second its a private
build for internal use.
The shell should be dropped into a production system for development,
so there is a desire to not touch anything or depend on anything.

I was able to build zsh with a static zsh/regex after editing the
offending line
sed -e 's,echo dynamic,echo either,' -i zsh/Src/Modules/regex.mdd

Norbert

* Re: Several modules can only be used dynamically?
@ 2019-12-05 16:01   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-12-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 16:41 +0100, Norbert Lange wrote:
> I use a static build (toolchain without any support for dl-open) of
> zsh, and I just found out that I am missing the zsh/regex Module even
> though configure found all buildtime requirements.
> Looking at the source it seems that this and several other modules are
> only allowed to me built dynamically.
>
> Is this the intention? If this is some License issue, then first I am
> using musl (which should not add any issues) and second its a private
> build for internal use.
> The shell should be dropped into a production system for development,
> so there is a desire to not touch anything or depend on anything.
>
> I was able to build zsh with a static zsh/regex after editing the
> offending line
> sed -e 's,echo dynamic,echo either,' -i zsh/Src/Modules/regex.mdd

If that works for you, that's fine --- this is entirely practical.

I think this is because OSes don't always provide static versions
of the system libraries we need to link against, e.g. the regex
support, and the variety of system libraries made this hard to
test for generally.

pws

* Re: Several modules can only be used dynamically?
@ 2019-12-05 16:12     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-12-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019, 8:02 AM Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 16:41 +0100, Norbert Lange wrote:
> > I was able to build zsh with a static zsh/regex after editing the
> > offending line
> > sed -e 's,echo dynamic,echo either,' -i zsh/Src/Modules/regex.mdd
>
> If that works for you, that's fine --- this is entirely practical.

Isn't the "approved" way to do this, to edit config.modules and change the
link= value for any modules that can/should be static?

* Re: Several modules can only be used dynamically?
@ 2019-12-05 16:17       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-12-05 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 08:12 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019, 8:02 AM Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 16:41 +0100, Norbert Lange wrote:
> > > I was able to build zsh with a static zsh/regex after editing the
> > > offending line
> > > sed -e 's,echo dynamic,echo either,' -i zsh/Src/Modules/regex.mdd
> >
> > If that works for you, that's fine --- this is entirely practical.
> Isn't the "approved" way to do this, to edit config.modules and change
> the link= value for any modules that can/should be static?

Yes, that's neater; just make sure you rebuild from early enough
in the process --- the instructions say "make prep".

But nobody's actually looking.

pws

* Re: Several modules can only be used dynamically?
@ 2019-12-05 16:23         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-12-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Users