zsh-users
* I can't explain the following
@ 2022-04-26 15:49 Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-04-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh

Hi everyone,

While working on my .zshenv file I discovered something strange that I
can't explain.
The changes(still a work in progress) had a glob that took some time to
complete
and won't be there when I finish. This made it quite noticeable. Everything
I was
doing in a zsh instance seemed to work normally with one notable exception,
that
I know of.

% less $file      # executes .zshenv before outputting content of file
      If .zshrc has some "test" print statement(s), they are outputs and
not the file??

% < $file       outputs file and pipes it through less ? I should remember
why, anyway!
% cat $file    outputs content of file as expected
% more $file  outputs content of file as expected

What I can't figure out is why zsh/"less" does what it does. Could someone
enlighten me?
Is there a way of "tracing" what is happening?
BTW "less" is not an alias or function.

ZSH_VERSION  5.8
ZSH_PATCHLEVEL debian/5.8-6+deb11u1
LESS='-R -M --shift 5'