On Thursday, October 25, 2012, Mark van Dijk wrote: > Hello list members, > > I'd like to ask for an example of how the A and AA parameter expansion > flags work. The description in the manual is too complicated for me to > grasp. > > I am not sure whether these flags can add a value to an (associative) > array which already exists? > No, they cannot add to an existing parameter. They always work as if array=(values...), all or nothing. The circumstances in which one would want to use these flags, especially AA, are very limited. They exist only for generality of the test-and-set behavior of ${var=value} -- if you can think of a case where you want to substitute an entire associative array into a larger expression, you might be able to find a corresponding example where you'd want AA. Otherwise you probably should be using ${ary[field]=value}, or assignment statements like Peter described.