zsh-users
* tab completion taking a _really_ long time
@ 2018-09-20 22:31 TJ Luoma
From: TJ Luoma @ 2018-09-20 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

I just plugged in a computer that hasn't been used in over a year and
ran a bunch of updates.

One thing I noticed is that zsh is taking a long time (like 90
seconds) to do tab completion for 'cd'

For example, I was in my $HOME and did 'cd d' and press tab, which
should show me Desktop, Documents, and Downloads.

Instead it just sat there for 90 seconds.

When I tried it again and killed it (control-c) after a few seconds,
it reported this:

          Killed by signal in _path_files after 5s

This was in ZSH_VERSION 5.3

Any idea what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

TjL

ps - if more diagnostic info is needed, please let me know. I'm not
sure what would be helpful here.

--
TJ Luoma
TJ @ MacStories

* Re: tab completion taking a _really_ long time
@ 2018-09-20 22:40 ` TJ Luoma
From: TJ Luoma @ 2018-09-20 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

More info:

I tried updating zsh to a newer version, and that didn't fix the problem.

I renamed .zshenv and .zshrc so neither of them were read, and my tab
completions went back to instantaneous, so it's obviously something in
my config, but I don't know what, and obviously it didn't _used_ to do
this, so I'm still at an impasse.

--

@ 2018-09-21  1:41   ` TJ Luoma
From: TJ Luoma @ 2018-09-21  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

I ended up copying my .zshenv and .zshrc from my current machine to my
old (recently revived) machine and that seems to have solved the
problem, so unless someone happens to know off the top of their head
what was the problem, feel free to ignore.

Sorry for the noise.

TjL

* Re: tab completion taking a _really_ long time
@ 2018-09-21  2:19     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2018-09-21  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TJ Luoma; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM, TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ended up copying my .zshenv and .zshrc from my current machine to my
> old (recently revived) machine and that seems to have solved the
> problem, so unless someone happens to know off the top of their head
> what was the problem, feel free to ignore.

You've probably got a cdpath setting in there, pointing to a directory
that doesn't exist any more (maybe one that used to be an NFS mount?).

If instead of TAB you type control-x followed by a question mark,
completion debugging is invoked -- a file will be written in /tmp with
a trace of what the completion system is doing.  Hit control-c and
then have a look at the file.