zsh-users
* strange behaviour of zparseopts
@ 2021-05-07 10:30 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2021-05-07 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

The following minimal example illustrates the problem I am having.

drat.sh
#!/usr/local/bin/zsh -f

zparseopts -D -E -A elkopts -tasks:  -maxthd: -scale: -xc: -mix: -scl:  -spsource: -kx: -ky: -kz: -write:  \
	   -quality:

zparseopts -D -E -A elkopts -actype:

The first invocation of zparseopts works (no error is returned).  The
second returns:

./drat.sh:zparseopts:7: missing option descriptions

Swapping the order of the invocations has no effect (beyond changing the
line number at which the error arises).

I'm running zsh-5.8 on freebsd-11.4.

Thanks for any help offered.

Roger

* Re: strange behaviour of zparseopts
@ 2021-05-07 11:05 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2021-05-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason, zsh-users

@ 2021-05-07 11:05 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2021-05-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: zsh-users

On 5/7/21, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The following minimal example illustrates the problem I am having.
>
> drat.sh
> #!/usr/local/bin/zsh -f
>
> zparseopts -D -E -A elkopts -tasks:  -maxthd: -scale: -xc: -mix: -scl:
> -spsource: -kx: -ky: -kz: -write:  \
> 	   -quality:
>

> zparseopts -D -E -A elkopts -actype:

> The first invocation of zparseopts works (no error is returned).  The
> second returns:
>
> ./drat.sh:zparseopts:7: missing option descriptions
>
> Swapping the order of the invocations has no effect (beyond changing the
> line number at which the error arises).
>
> I'm running zsh-5.8 on freebsd-11.4.
>
> Thanks for any help offered.

I'm reasonably sure you just want

zparseopts -D -E -A elkopts - -actype:

otherwise the -a is taken as an option for zparseopts:
-a  -- specify array in which to store parsed options

It is the only lowercase option for zparseopts and unknown options
seem to serve the same purpose of terminating the option list and
starting the argument list which is why the first command works.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: strange behaviour of zparseopts
@ 2021-05-07 17:26   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2021-05-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Daniel Shahaf writes:

Mikael Magnusson writes:

>I'm reasonably sure you just want

> zparseopts -D -E -A elkopts - -actype:

Thank you both, that was indeed the problem.  My sanity is restored.

Roger