It fine to save the screen copy to a file, I can read it via $( wrote: > On 9/13/23 11:01 AM, Oliver Kiddle wrote: > > Within limits, it's possible with rxvt-unicode. > > I may be wrong, or have misunderstood what the OP is wanting to do. But > I disagree. > > > The escape sequence \e[0i is equivalent to pressing Shift-Print_Screen > > which is for sending the scrollback buffer to a printer. To actually > > capture the output you need to send it to a file instead of a printer > > which is configured from .Xresources, e.g. as > > > > Rxvt.print-pipe: umask 077;cat >/tmp/XXX > > XTerm supports DEC's "Media Copy" feature. > > > Same basic concept may work with other terminals but the data is > > being dumped to a file rather than sent down the tty line. So given > > ssh connections or permission changes the zsh completion widget at > > the other end won't be able to read it. > > My understanding is that the OP wanted the data to go back to the host > sending the control sequences, not a local file / printer. Ergo why I > say that rxvt's feature you're talking about and XTerm's Media Copy > feature won't do what I understand the OP to want to do. > > My understanding is that the OP wanted the host to be able to scrape the > screen so that it could intelligently modify something on the screen, > ostensibly something like command completion or such such handy behavior. > > > And I'd agree with Grant that the entire concept is questionable from > > a security perspective. Many terminals removed even the feature for > > retrieving the title bar text. > > I'm okay with the idea of having the terminal switch it's output to a > local AUXiliary port -- ostensibly connected to a printer -- redirect > /future/ output to said AUX port & printer. At least until the terminal > is directed to start sending things to the screen again. > > > Aside from tmux, screen also has the feature with screen -X hardcopy > > Sending existing screen contents back to the host is considerably > different than sending new content to an alternate location. > > > > -- > Grant. . . . > unix || die > > -- Best regards, Sebastian Gniazdowski