zsh-users
* git-completion 1.2 released
@ 2020-11-19 16:05 Felipe Contreras
From: Felipe Contreras @ 2020-11-19 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

Git-completion is a friendly fork of the official Git completion and
prompt scripts for Zsh and Bash.

The main goal is to provide a more up-to-date completion for Zsh (I'm
the developer), which is basically just a wrapper around the Bash
completion.

Compared to Git upstream, you get many benefits for Zsh, for example:
no extra unnecessary spaces, correct auto suffix removal, colors
without PROMPT_COMMAND, custom aliases, fixed --no-options, and many
more.

If you use the official Zsh completion the main benefit is that it's
blazingly fast. Simply doing "git log <tab>" on the Linux kernel (with
3k+ refs) takes several seconds on the official Zsh completion (about
3 seconds on my machine), with git-complete it's *instantaneous*.

There's other benefits too. Since the Bash completion is actively
maintained by Git developers, everything works as they intend too.

For example "git send-email <tab>" correctly completes branches, as
opposed to files in the Zsh official completion. Also, complex aliases
such as '!f () { }; f' are correctly identified and completed
out-of-the-box.

It's a sister project of the Oh My Zsh gitfast plugin [1], which I maintain too.

Since the last version a testing framework was added, and now all the
completion tests of the Git project pass with the Zsh wrapper too [2].

For installation instructions, and more information, check the wiki
[3], but basically.

 * make install
 * fpath=(~/.local/share/git-completion/zsh $fpath)

Enjoy.

[1] https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/tree/master/plugins/gitfast
[2] https://travis-ci.org/github/felipec/git-completion
[3] https://github.com/felipec/git-completion/wiki/Zsh