Indeed, it does appear that the D modifier does what I want! Thanks Alex, Bart, and Lawrence. *Zach Riggle* On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 11:28 PM Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > On Sat, Nov 20, 2021, at 11:46 PM, Zach Riggle wrote: > > I recently learned about GLOB_DOTS, which is pretty useful in some > > scenarios, e.g. > > > >> echo *(md-1) > > > > To show all files modified within the last day. However, in some cases > > I want to see hidden files (e.g. ./.foo) as well. The globdots option > > is excellent for this! > > > > Is there an easy way to set this for a single expression? > > Yes, the "D" glob qualifier. > > % touch {.,}{a..c} > % print -r -- * > a b c > % print -r -- *(D) > .a .b .c a b c > > > I know I can use a function / anonymous function combined with > > LOCAL_OPTIONS to get this, but I wondered if there's something more > > clever. > > > > [...] > > > > I expect that there's something I can do for scripts that I fully > > control, to declare some function ('globdots') which is invoked with > > noglob, and can then internally set the flag, and then trigger > > expansion of each argument in "$@". > > > > [...] > > > > I can just invoke "eval" on something that I KNOW will be a glob > > expression to get it to expand, but blindly calling eval will execute > > things that are NOT glob expressions, and I only want filename > > expansion. > > > > What I have found that DOES work (but overkill and a hack) is just to > > shell out to zsh again, while passing in all options that are currently > > set -- plus globdots. > > > > [...] > > > > Then there's also the issue of causing filename expansion to occur when > > unintended -- for example, if '*' is indeed just a string argument, and > > should not be subject to expansion. I think this corner case I can > > ignore, as any user will explicitly be asking for glob expansion. > > What verve! Fortunately you don't have to do any of this :) > > > Finally, I wanted to say that I genuinely appreciate the help and > > answers I've gotten from this community. You're all very welcoming, > > experienced, and get down to the point / answers quickly. > > On behalf of the actual helpful people, you're quite welcome. > > > If there's any way that I can help support Zsh development or the > > community around it, please let me know. > > I think your using zsh is already quite supportive! > > -- > vq >