zsh-users
* Builtins like "exec" redirection are not printed with xtrace
@ 2022-05-11  6:48 Zach Riggle
From: Zach Riggle @ 2022-05-11  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

It seems that the following produces no output

    #!/bin/zsh
    setopt xtrace
    exec 1>/dev/null

Is there a reason that xtrace does not show the exec line?

Similarly, other commands with I/O redirection seem to not be logged in
xtrace, e.g.

    $ cat xt
    #!/bin/zsh
    setopt xtrace
    head -c 8 /bin/sh | xxd > /dev/null

    $ zsh xt
    +xt:3> head -c 8 /bin/sh
    +xt:3> xxd

Is there a way to get xtrace (or another option) to log the I/O redirection?

*Zach Riggle*