zsh-users
* How to use precommand modifiers `-` ?
@ 2021-05-13  9:48 andme
From: andme @ 2021-05-13  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

```-

The command is executed with a ‘-’ prepended to its argv[0] string.

```

As a non-native speaker of English, I'm confused about this.
Can anyone give me some examples?

Thanks

* Re: How to use precommand modifiers `-` ?
@ 2021-05-13 11:04 ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2021-05-13 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andme; +Cc: zsh-users

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 12:56 PM andme <15991987063@163.com> wrote:

> ```-
>
> The command is executed with a ‘-’ prepended to its argv[0] string.
>
> ```
>
> As a non-native speaker of English, I'm confused about this.
> Can anyone give me some examples?

Here's an example:

    % zsh -fc 'print -r -- $0'
    zsh

    % - zsh -fc 'print -r -- $0'
    -zsh

Here $0 gives us argv[0].

Roman.

* Re: How to use precommand modifiers `-` ?
@ 2021-05-13 12:00   ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2021-05-13 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Perepelitsa; +Cc: andme, zsh-users

 ❦ 13 mai 2021 13:04 +02, Roman Perepelitsa:

>> ```-
>>
>> The command is executed with a ‘-’ prepended to its argv[0] string.
>>
>> ```
>>
>> As a non-native speaker of English, I'm confused about this.
>> Can anyone give me some examples?
>
> Here's an example:
>
>     % zsh -fc 'print -r -- $0'
>     zsh
>
>     % - zsh -fc 'print -r -- $0'
>     -zsh
>
> Here $0 gives us argv[0].

To complete your answer, this is used by shells to know if they should
use a login session or not. Some shells, including Zsh, can also take an
option for that (-l), but it's not an universal option, hence the use of
this convention: either the target understands it and it works as
expected or it does not and it is harmless. I don't think there is any
other purpose.
--
Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed
down-stairs a step at a time.