zsh-users
* How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 20:48 Steve Dondley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Dondley @ 2021-09-15 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

I'm migrating my stuff from bash to zsh. I'm a stymied by an error that
crops up from time to time and I'm not sure how to fix.

In bash, I had these lines:

# completion commands
complete -F _complete_alias t
complete -F _complete_alias ta
complete -F _complete_alias tl
complete -F _complete_alias tm
complete -F _complete_alias tasn
complete -F _complete_alias tast
complete -F _complete_alias taa
complete -F _complete_alias tlst
complete -F _complete_alias tli
complete -F _complete_alias tpa
complete -F _complete_alias tlt
complete -F _complete_alias tai

I don't even remember why I had to put them in bash and I'm not sure
they are needed in zsh. Initially, zsh doesn't complain about them at
all. But then at some point, and I don't know when, I start getting an
error when trying to use tab completion:

> $ tasn (anon):4: command not found: _complete_alias
(anon):4: command not found: _complete_alias
(anon):4: command not found: _complete_alias

I tried commenting out all the lines and reloading zsh but it still
throws the errors. The (anon):4 isn't helpful to me so I don't know
where the errors might be coming from. I grep'd the code and don't see
any more instances of "_complete_alias". To get rid of the errors, I
have to start a new zsh from scratch.

Can someone please help me determine:

1) If I need these lines in zsh
2) If they are needed, how do I keep them from throwing an error
3) How I track down these errors and get rid of them without restarting
the shell?

* Re: How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 20:54 ` Steve Dondley
From: Steve Dondley @ 2021-09-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

> 1) If I need these lines in zsh
> 2) If they are needed, how do I keep them from throwing an error
> 3) How I track down these errors and get rid of them without
> restarting the shell?

OK, I did a 'exec zsh' and that has fixed the errors. I've left the
lines commented out and tab completion is still working.

I'm probably good. But if someone could reassure me, I'd appreciate it.

* Re: How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 20:55 ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2021-09-15 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Dondley; +Cc: Zsh users

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:48 PM Steve Dondley <s@dondley.com> wrote:

> I tried commenting out all the lines and reloading zsh ...

This is the way.

> ... but it still throws the errors.

My guess is that by "reloading zsh" you mean running `source
~/.zshrc`. If that's the case, this is the culprit. Try restarting zsh
for real. In most cases `exec zsh` is enough. When in doubt, reboot.

Roman.

* Re: How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 21:20 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2021-09-15 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Dondley; +Cc: Zsh users

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Steve Dondley <s@dondley.com> wrote:

> I'm migrating my stuff from bash to zsh. I'm a stymied by an error that
> crops up from time to time and I'm not sure how to fix.
>
> In bash, I had these lines:
>
> # completion commands
> complete -F _complete_alias t

(and so on)

That means that at some other point in your bash startup, a function
named _complete_alias was defined, and you told bash to run that
function to complete the "t" (etc.) commands.

Removing these lines is probably the right thing, but otherwise you
need to port the _complete_alias definition into your zsh startup as
well.  You must already be loading bashcompinit if there is no
complaint about the "complete" command not being found.

* Re: How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 21:50   ` Bev In TX
From: Bev In TX @ 2021-09-15 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Steve Dondley, Zsh users

> On Sep 15, 2021, at 4:33 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Steve Dondley <s@dondley.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm migrating my stuff from bash to zsh. I'm a stymied by an error that
>> crops up from time to time and I'm not sure how to fix.
>>
>> In bash, I had these lines:
>>
>> # completion commands
>> complete -F _complete_alias t
>
> (and so on)
>
> That means that at some other point in your bash startup, a function
> named _complete_alias was defined, and you told bash to run that
> function to complete the "t" (etc.) commands.
>
> Removing these lines is probably the right thing, but otherwise you
> need to port the _complete_alias definition into your zsh startup as
> well.  You must already be loading bashcompinit if there is no
> complaint about the "complete" command not being found.
Perhaps the OP is using:
https://github.com/cykerway/complete-alias

* Re: How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 22:29     ` Steve Dondley
From: Steve Dondley @ 2021-09-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 2021-09-15 05:50 PM, Bev In TX wrote:

>> On Sep 15, 2021, at 4:33 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Steve Dondley <s@dondley.com> wrote:
> I'm migrating my stuff from bash to zsh. I'm a stymied by an error that
> crops up from time to time and I'm not sure how to fix. In bash, I had
> these lines: # completion commands complete -F _complete_alias t
> (and so on)
>
> That means that at some other point in your bash startup, a function
> named _complete_alias was defined, and you told bash to run that
> function to complete the "t" (etc.) commands.
>
> Removing these lines is probably the right thing, but otherwise you
> need to port the _complete_alias definition into your zsh startup as
> well.  You must already be loading bashcompinit if there is no
> complaint about the "complete" command not being found.
  Perhaps the OP is using:
https://github.com/cykerway/complete-alias

This looks very vaguely familiar. I think you are right and I did use
this. Thanks for googling that for me. :)

I've had a little too much wine with dinner to go back and figure out
what I did 2 hours ago, never mind 2 years ago. I will review this
tomorrow. Thanks!

* Re: How do I get rid of _complete_alias error generated by bash code?
@ 2021-09-15 22:37   ` Steve Dondley
From: Steve Dondley @ 2021-09-15 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

> for real. In most cases `exec zsh` is enough. When in doubt, reboot.

Yes, soon after sending my email, I discovered `exec zsh`, similar to
bash, works. I should have googled that first. Sorry to interrupt your
day with a triviality.