zsh-users
* Prompt Issue
@ 2019-07-05  1:15 Zhao Li
From: Zhao Li @ 2019-07-05  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi Folks,

I started using zsh with oh-my-zsh and things have been going great.  I am
able to customize my prompt, but am encountering this last quirk:

When I press tab to autocomplete/autosuggest, the prompt gets munched up.

I tried removing the emoji's and special characters, but the only time this
issue does not happen is when the git information is not displayed at all.

Attached are some screenshots of what’s happening.  Though I don't know if
email attachments show up on mailing lists or not.  If not, then the
screenshots can be found here as well:
https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/7945

This is my prompt configuration:
https://github.com/zhao-li/dots/blob/master/custom/themes/zhaoli.zsh-theme

Any ideas, how I can fix my prompt so tabbing out doesn’t munch the
prompt?  Or where else I can try to look to solve this issue?

Thank you for your time :)

[image: PromptIssue.png]

#!/bin/sh

# This configures the custom oh-my-zsh theme
# deferring to scripts/prompt.sh to handle setting the prompt
# https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/blob/master/custom/themes/example.zsh-theme

color='%F{magenta}'
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_PREFIX="$color("
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_SUFFIX="$color)"
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_BRANCH="$color"
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_DIRTY='💩'
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_CLEAN='🦄'
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_AHEAD="$color↑"
ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_BEHIND="$color↓"

local user="%F{cyan}%n"
local dir="%F{green}%~%f"

# based off of:
https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/blob/master/plugins/git-prompt/git-prompt.plugin.zsh
git_info() {
  if [ -n "$__CURRENT_GIT_STATUS" ]; then
    STATUS="$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_PREFIX$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_BRANCH$GIT_BRANCH%{${reset_color}%}"
    if [ "$GIT_BEHIND" -ne "0" ]; then
        STATUS="$STATUS$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_BEHIND%{${reset_color}%}"
    fi
    if [ "$GIT_AHEAD" -ne "0" ]; then
        STATUS="$STATUS$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_AHEAD%{${reset_color}%}"
    fi
    if [ "$GIT_CHANGED" -ne "0" ] || [ "$GIT_UNTRACKED" -ne "0" ]; then
        STATUS="$STATUS$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_DIRTY%{${reset_color}%}"
    fi
    if [ "$GIT_CHANGED" -eq "0" ] && [ "$GIT_CONFLICTS" -eq "0" ] && [
"$GIT_STAGED" -eq "0" ] && [ "$GIT_UNTRACKED" -eq "0" ]; then
        STATUS="$STATUS$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_CLEAN"
    fi
    STATUS="$STATUS%{${reset_color}%}$ZSH_THEME_GIT_PROMPT_SUFFIX"
    echo "$STATUS"
  fi
}

PROMPT=$'$FG[237]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------%{$reset_color%}\n'
PROMPT+="${user}"
PROMPT+="${dir}"
PROMPT+='%{$(git_info)%}'
PROMPT+='%{${reset_color}%}$ '

RPROMPT=''

[-- Attachment #2: PromptIssue.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 43758 bytes --]

* Re: Prompt Issue
@ 2019-07-05  7:05 ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2019-07-05  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhao Li; +Cc: Zsh Users

This is the problem:

    PROMPT+='%{$(git_info)%}'

Fix:

   PROMPT+='$(git_info)'

I've provided more details in
https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/7945.

Roman.

* Re: Prompt Issue
@ 2019-07-05 11:05   ` Zhao Li
From: Zhao Li @ 2019-07-05 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Perepelitsa; +Cc: Zsh Users

wow thank you so much for taking the time to write your post. Your example
code to fix the problem along with explanation helps tremendously. I can
understand why %{...%} is helpful here
<https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/2314#issuecomment-32155974>
 (
https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/2314#issuecomment-32155974),
but not where I was using it in my prompt.

Thank you also for pointing me to gitstatus and your detailed example code
for that as well.

I think I'm finally at a good place with my prompt and using zsh with
oh-my-zsh.

My last remaining issue is with hyper.js not properly handling emoji's and
causing the prompt to be off by one character
<https://github.com/zeit/hyper/issues/3516> (
https://github.com/zeit/hyper/issues/3516). Unless you know of some easy
fix for that as well, I'm going to just wait for hyper.js to fix that issue
ticket.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:06 PM Roman Perepelitsa <
roman.perepelitsa@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the problem:
>
>     PROMPT+='%{$(git_info)%}'
>
> Fix:
>
>    PROMPT+='$(git_info)'
>
> I've provided more details in
> https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/7945.
>
> Roman.

* Re: Prompt Issue
@ 2019-07-05 11:58     ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2019-07-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhao Li; +Cc: Zsh Users

Let's have this discussion only in one place. I replied in

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 1:05 PM Zhao Li <zhao.li@startingspark.com> wrote:

> wow thank you so much for taking the time to write your post. Your example
> code to fix the problem along with explanation helps tremendously. I can
> understand why %{...%} is helpful here
> <https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/2314#issuecomment-32155974>
>  (
> https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/2314#issuecomment-32155974),
> but not where I was using it in my prompt.
>
> Thank you also for pointing me to gitstatus and your detailed example code
> for that as well.
>
> I think I'm finally at a good place with my prompt and using zsh with
> oh-my-zsh.
>
> My last remaining issue is with hyper.js not properly handling emoji's
> and causing the prompt to be off by one character
> <https://github.com/zeit/hyper/issues/3516> (
> https://github.com/zeit/hyper/issues/3516). Unless you know of some easy
> fix for that as well, I'm going to just wait for hyper.js to fix that issue
> ticket.
>
> Thanks again for your time and effort.
>
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:06 PM Roman Perepelitsa <
> roman.perepelitsa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is the problem:
>>
>>     PROMPT+='%{$(git_info)%}'
>>
>> Fix:
>>
>>    PROMPT+='$(git_info)'
>>
>> I've provided more details in
>> https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/7945.
>>
>> Roman.

* Re: Prompt Issue
@ 2019-07-05 17:20   ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2019-07-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 7/5/19 1:05 AM, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
> I've provided more details in
> https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/7945.

Thank you for the write up Roman.

I learned multiple unexpected things from it.  :-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: Prompt Issue