What I'm running: % cat /etc/debian_version 12.0 % dpkg -l zsh | grep ii ii zsh 5.9-4 amd64 shell with lots of features Hi, I've used zsh compctl since forever (late 90s or early 00s) but strangely never run into this before. I realized today when I intended to make some compctl config for update-alternatives that my completions where not triggered at all, it just used my standard fallback completion (files) ... so a very stripped down simple example to show the problem: This works fine: ~~~ zshprompt% compctl -k '(arg1 arg2 arg3)' nodash # typing 'nodash ' and hitting [Tab] once: zshprompt% nodash arg # hitting [Tab again] zshprompt% nodash arg arg1 arg2 arg3 ~~~ But this complete files instead: ~~~ # just showing the current dir for reference: zshprompt% ls . file2.txt myfile1.txt zshprompt% compctl -k '(arg1 arg2 arg3)' with-dash # typing 'with-dash ' and hitting [Tab] once: zshprompt% with-dash file2.txt myfile1.txt ~~~ As seen, my standard completion (listing current directory) is used rather than the one I added with compctl ... I also tried this with a totally clean zsh (no distribution or user configuration) and that shows the same problem, commands without dashes triggers completion, but commands with dashes, does not. I couldn't really find anything about this in the manpage (man zshcompctl) or online ... Is it a bug, or am I missing something? TIA, /frax