I am running gentoo stable on FX 8350 box. I installed zsh following instructions given on gentoo wiki pages. I did it quite correctly because when I first ran chsh -s /bin/zsh instead of running the start up script it asked for a password to be entered. Apparently that is a bad thing. My .zshrc file is in my /home/user directory: bucketlist /home/mikef # more .zshrc #~!/bin/zsh #Completion autoload -U compinit compinit # Correction setopt correctall #Prompt autoload -U promptinit promptinit prompt gentoo bucketlist /home/mikef # My /etc/shells file looks like this: mikef@bucketlist /etc % more shells # /etc/shells: valid login shells /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/dash /bin/esh /bin/fish /bin/ksh /bin/mksh /bin/sash /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh mikef@bucketlist /etc % I think I have managed to install zsh: mikef@bucketlist /etc % equery l zsh * Searching for zsh ... [IP-] [ ] app-shells/zsh-5.8:0 mikef@bucketlist /etc % mikef@bucketlist /etc % echo "My current shell is $SHELL ($0)" My current shell is /bin/zsh (zsh) mikef@bucketlist /etc % If you know of any diagnostic tests to check whether zsh is really running properly or not I would appreciate it. My fear is that it has been installed in an incorrect or half-cocked fashion. Comments appreciated. Regards Michael Fothergill