Greetings, I am not (yet) subscribed to the -users mailing list. Please CC me. Thanks! I use a simple shell script wrapper to launch mate-terminal: #/bin/sh mate-terminal --geometry=156x42 My default shell is zsh - which gets successfully spawned in the aforementioned terminal. I'd like to make programatic decisions inside my .zshrc file based on a variable in my wrapper script. Or I'd like to pass some sort of data to the .zshrc script. I could imagine something like: #/bin/sh mate-terminal --geometry=156x42 --command /bin/zsh --env FOO=bar and then in my .zshrc do things for various values of $FOO. I've googled and checked the man pages for passing environment variables into zsh via a CLI option, but couldn't find anything. The graphical nature of the mate-terminal makes it so I can't: #/bin/sh export FOO=bar mate-terminal --geometry=156x42 Similarly the following does not work: #/bin/sh mate-terminal --geometry=156x42 --command FOO=bar /bin/zsh I suppose I could do some convoluted exec'ing with the mate-terminal to pass in an environment variable, but I'd rather find a (somewhat) elegant solution. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? Thanks! -m