zsh-users
* multiple kill are not yanked together
@ 2022-01-10 23:10 Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2022-01-10 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

Hello, it is sometimes that I have this behaviour:
when I use repeatedly a zle widget like kill-word and then I use yank to
restore the killed text, only the last killed word is returned.
I remember that all the consecutive killed word were returned at once, and
the manual support this:
[...] When repeatedly invoking a kill widget, text is  appended  to  the
 cutbuffer instead of replacing it[...]
Is it possible I deactivated this behavior somehow?

the manual says also "when wrapping such widgets, it is necessary to call
`zle -f kill' to retain this effect" but I am not wrapping them

Pier Paolo Grassi

* Re: multiple kill are not yanked together
@ 2022-01-11 17:36 ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2022-01-11 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Users List

Hello, is there some information I can provide about this question?
thanks

Pier Paolo Grassi

@ 2022-01-11 21:28   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-01-11 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pier Paolo Grassi; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 9:36 AM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello, is there some information I can provide about this question?

Version of zsh?

Are you ever able to get this to happen starting from "zsh -f" + compinit?

Does this happen e.g. after performing completion on one of the words you
then kill?

Oliver would be the most likely person to have insight here, but he's
unavailable for several days right now.

Il giorno mar 11 gen 2022 alle ore 00:10 Pier Paolo Grassi <
> pierpaolog@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> Hello, it is sometimes that I have this behaviour:
>> when I use repeatedly a zle widget like kill-word and then I use yank to
>> restore the killed text, only the last killed word is returned.
>> I remember that all the consecutive killed word were returned at once,
>> and the manual support this:
>> [...] When repeatedly invoking a kill widget, text is  appended  to  the
>>  cutbuffer instead of replacing it[...]
>> Is it possible I deactivated this behavior somehow?

I don't know of any way to "deactivate this" other than by changing key
binding or widget definitions.

* Re: multiple kill are not yanked together
@ 2022-01-11 21:53     ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2022-01-11 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh-Users List

Il giorno mar 11 gen 2022 alle 22:28 Bart Schaefer <
schaefer@brasslantern.com> ha scritto:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 9:36 AM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello, is there some information I can provide about this question?
>>

> Version of zsh?

zsh 5.8 (x86_64-pc-linux-musl)
it's the version provided  by Roman

> Are you ever able to get this to happen starting from "zsh -f" + compinit?

no, in this case it works as expected

> Does this happen e.g. after performing completion on one of the words you
> then kill?

it happens right after opening a new shell

> Oliver would be the most likely person to have insight here, but he's
> unavailable for several days right now.
>
> Il giorno mar 11 gen 2022 alle ore 00:10 Pier Paolo Grassi <
>> pierpaolog@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hello, it is sometimes that I have this behaviour:
>>> when I use repeatedly a zle widget like kill-word and then I use yank to
>>> restore the killed text, only the last killed word is returned.
>>> I remember that all the consecutive killed word were returned at once,
>>> and the manual support this:
>>> [...] When repeatedly invoking a kill widget, text is  appended  to  the
>>>  cutbuffer instead of replacing it[...]
>>> Is it possible I deactivated this behavior somehow?
>>>

> I don't know of any way to "deactivate this" other than by changing key
> binding or widget definitions.

The key bindings for these widgets are simply
bindkey \Cd kill-word
bindkey \Cy yank

I somehow have discovered a way, it seems... now I have to try to
understand which config line is causing it
I will update this thread if I make any progress, thanks

* Re: multiple kill are not yanked together
@ 2022-01-11 23:29       ` Pier Paolo Grassi
From: Pier Paolo Grassi @ 2022-01-11 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh-Users List