oh I see now that you already changed the topic Pier Paolo Grassi Il giorno mer 3 mar 2021 alle ore 15:00 Pier Paolo Grassi < pierpaolog@gmail.com> ha scritto: > that's quite interesting, for me at least. If you have any good link to > articles or books about the history of shell programs and the motivations > behind various choices and want to share I would really appreciate it > idk if this is interesting to the list also or I should message privately > about topics not directly related to zsh, or if I should start a new > thread, I would appreciate some direction on this > > Pier Paolo Grassi > > > Il giorno mer 3 mar 2021 alle ore 11:23 Stephane Chazelas < > stephane@chazelas.org> ha scritto: > >> 2021-03-03 08:57:15 +0100, Pier Paolo Grassi: >> > out of curiosity, how have you assembled this informations? from memory >> or >> > digging in the source trees? >> [...] >> >> I do collect a number of old archives of various shell source >> codes downloaded from here and there and look in there for this >> kind of information. I enjoy this kind of archeological digging. >> >> For recent versions, you can generally look in cvs/svn/git logs, >> or use git blame/svn ann or git log --grep... >> >> For older versions, most shells keep changelogs. zsh has some >> Etc/ChangeLog*, bash has a NEWS and CWRU/changelog. zsh links >> its changelog to the mailing list. So not only you can find the >> change, but also the reasoning and discussions behind it. That's >> quite unique and invaluable. >> >> It's hard to obtain old ksh versions. All I have is ksh86 (from >> some bsd source tree), svr4.2 ksh88d from archive.org, the >> leaked solaris11's ksh88i, ksh93d from dtksh, ksh85's man page >> and some of ksh93's since it's been made opensource. There's a >> RELEASE file in there (and more for the libraries) but it's a >> bit patchy. >> >> BSD shells (based on ash originally published on usenet in 1989, >> so easy to find, except for OpenBSD which switched to pdksh) are >> easy as the sccs history is publicly available. >> >> For tcsh, someone compiled all versions back to 6.06.1 in the >> git repo. Some older versions can be found on usenet. >> >> I started using zsh around the time bash 2.0 came out. But that >> was 25 years ago. I can't say I remember much from then. Back >> then, bash was already quite limited compared to zsh. It didn't >> even have arrays. >> >> -- >> Stephane >> >